CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
The City of Rensselaer is seeking applications and resumes for the position of Code Enforcement Officer. This is a full-time position (Monday-Friday 8:00AM to 4:00PM) with excellent benefits package. Incumbent must also be available to work overtime on nights, weekends and holidays. The salary or rate of pay for this position is $43,000.
This position is responsible for the enforcement of specific local laws as designated by the City and assigned by the Building and Zoning Administrator. The use of local laws may include, but are not limited to zoning, unsafe structures, junk vehicles, garbage and rubbish dumping, flood damage prevention, mobile homes and recycling. The work is performed under the general supervision of the Building and Zoning Administrator with some leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgment in carrying out work assignments. The Code Enforcement Officer also does related as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
1. Review plans of proposed structures for compliance with all applicable state and local codes;
2. Conduct inspections of structures under construction and existing structures to insure compliance with applicable codes;
3. Responsible for maintaining the records of assigned duties in proper order as required by law;
4. Investigates complaints of code violations and assists in the prosecution of violators;
5. Serves notices of code violations on property owners;
6. Follow-up on citations that require testimony in court;
7. Perform re-inspections to determine if violations have been corrected;
8. Provide routine information to the public in regard to building, plumbing, housing and zoning codes and the multiple residence law;
9. Liaison with fire departments, public works departments, local gas and electric companies;
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
1. Working knowledge of the requirements of local building, plumbing, housing and zoning codes;
2. Good knowledge of the Multiple Residence Law;
3. Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications;
4. Ability to be firm, yet courteous with the public;
6. Good judgement;
7. Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
1. Graduation from high school or possession of a New York State high school equivalency diploma and two (2) years of experience in building construction, the building trades or inspections; OR
2. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York registered college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Building Construction or related field.
1. At time of appointment, candidate must possess a valid NYS driver’s license, and maintain such throughout duration of employment in the title.
2. Completion of the Basic Code Enforcement Training Program as prescribed by Section 434.6 of Part 434 of the minimum standards for Code Enforcement Personnel in New York State within the first year of employment.
Posted: May 4, 2023
The selected qualified candidate will be required to take an exam administered by the NYS Department of Civil Service and become reachable on the resulting eligible list to secure permanent status in the title.
The City of Rensselaer is an Affirmative Action / Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Hiring and promotion decisions in the City service are based solely upon qualifications and ability, and the City does not discriminate on any other basis. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
Please forward applications and resumes to:
Irene Sorriento – Human Resources Office
City of Rensselaer - 62 Washington Street, Rensselaer, NY 12144
You may also submit your application and resume by email to
Applications and resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
For additional information regarding the position, you may visit the City of Rensselaer website at: www.rensselaerny.gov/Home.aspx
CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER