Marriage records are available for Bath-on-the-Hudson, Greenbush, East Albany and the City of Rensselaer. 

  • Records are available: 1908-Present


NANCY E. HARDT  518-462-4266


Where do you obtain a marriage license?

The Office of the City Clerk issues marriage licenses to couples planning to be married in New York State. The couple must apply in person and the application for a license must be signed by both the bride and the groom in the presence of the City Clerk or the Deputy City Clerk.

A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the bride or groom. This applies even if the representative has been given Power of Attorney. Nor can notarized marriage license affidavits signed by the bride or groom be substituted for their personal appearance.

Is there a waiting period?

Although the marriage license is issued immediately, the actual marriage ceremony cannot take place until 24 hours from the exact time the license was issued.

How long is the license valid?

A marriage license is valid for 60 days, beginning the day after it was issued.

How much does a license cost?

The fee for a marriage license is $40.00 and is payable immediately when the license is issued. NO REFUNDS will be given once the license is issued. This fee includes the issuance of a Certificate of Marriage Registration. This certificate is automatically mailed by the issuing Clerk within 5 days after the completed license is returned by the marriage officiant (person who performs the marriage ceremony). The certificate serves as notice that a record of the marriage is on file. Couples who do not receive a Certificate of Marriage Registration within four weeks of the wedding should contact the City or Town Clerk who has issued the license.

Is a premarital physical exam required?

No premarital examination or blood test is required to obtain a Marriage License in New York State.

What are the age requirements?

You MUST be at least 18 years of age to apply for a marriage license without parental consent in New York State. Parents, guardians or other people consenting to the marriage of a minor must personally appear and acknowledge or execute their consent before the Town or City Clerk. If the notarized affidavit is made before an official outside of the State of New York, it must be accompanied by a certificate of authentication when the consent is filed in New York State.

Familial Restrictions

A marriage in New York State may NOT take place between an ancestor and a descendent, a brother and sister (full or half blood), an uncle and niece or an aunt and nephew regardless of whether or not these persons are legitimate or illegitimate offspring.

Previous Marriages

Information regarding previous marriages must be furnished in the application for a marriage license. This includes whether or not the former spouses are living and whether the applicants are divorced, and if so, when, where and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted.

If this is NOT your first marriage, please have the original Divorce Decree with the court's seal and the Judge's signature or an original sealed certificate of death for a deceased spouse. This includes ALL divorces and/or deaths.

Proof of Age and Identity

A person is required to establish proof of age and identity by submitting to the issuing Clerk one of the following age-related documents: 

  • Birth Certificate 
  • Baptismal Record 
  • Naturalization Record
  • Census Record


One of the following identity-related documents:

  • Driver's License
  • Passport
  • Employment Picture I.D.
  • Immigration Record

Where do you obtain copies of your marriage records?  If the original license was obtained in the City of Rensselaer, the City Clerk will have the record on file and the $10.00 fee will apply.  Your license may also be on file with the New York State Health Department:   A link to that department is included for your convenience.  NYS Department of Health

The fee for each certified copy is $10.00. If paying by check or money order, please make payable to the Rensselaer City Clerk.

Mail requests should be sent to: 

City Clerk's Office
Rensselaer City Hall
62 Washington Street
Rensselaer, NY 12144